June 16, 2010

The Bee Exchange

What a great day! After my morning shift I came home and packed up all my bee gear into my car. We negotiated the horrible construction on the Henday and after a short stop at the BeeMaid store in Stony Plain to pick up some additional supplies we arrived at the bee yard around 10:15. Unfortunately Alvin, the beekeeper, wasn't around because he hadn't finished his errands from yesterday. However, his wife Judy was around and she was already out doing yard work and came out to meet us.

The weather was sunny and the air fresh so we geared up and headed over a short distance to where a row of white nucs lined up against a fence. There was a calming buzz, calming to me but you might want to ask my wife, that filled the air. Thousands of bees going about their daily work, completely oblivious of us standing around their hives. Once Judy got her smoker lit, we cracked open the 5 frame nucleus hive and started the process of transferring the frames. We closely inspected both sides of each frame as they came out of the hive in search of the queen. Honey comb, pollen, and healthy brood patterns were all to be found on the first 2 frames. Judy's expertise was astounding as she scanned each frame in a matter of seconds while I tried to keep up. After a few seconds on the third frame, Judy said she had spotted the queen. As a test she asked me to find it, it took me a few more seconds but the size difference of the laying queen soon stood out in the lower corner of the frame. Once we were certain the queen was in my hive we quickly swapped over the two remaining frames. I was astounded by how docile the bees were during this entire process, even after having read countless articles and watching dozens of YouTube videos. I knew that bees were docile, but like everyone who hasn't dealt with bees I had a predetermined idea of what the experience would be like. The frames were then secured into a group using duct tape to prevent them from swinging around and accidentally squishing any bees. After adding the cover, we gave the box a semi air tight wrapping of saran to ensure no bees escaped into the car while we drove home. With time dwindling before I had to be back at work, we loaded the hive into the back of my car, spend a few more minutes talking with Judy and then hit the road.

An hour later we pulling into our garage at home. I quickly started unpacking gear and then began nailing some metal frame rests into an extra super. Frame rests help prolong the life of the wooden supers and I had totally forgotten to purchase some when I had picked up the rest of my hive hardware. The hive box that the bees were currently in didn't have any so I would have to transfer the frames out so I could put them in later. Just as I had finished moving all the gear into the backyard my neighbour pulled into his driveway. As he got out of his car he asked if I had my bees yet.n I mentioned that I did and he was welcome to watch while I transferred them, he was genuinely interested and tagged along. Going along with my agenda of working bees without equipment and from how calm I had seen the bees at the yard, I decided to work without a veil. It would be quite the gamble as the bees could be agitated from the ride home.

How will I do? Did I get stung? (Spoiler Alert: The Sting Tally will always be up to date) Was there anything I could have done differently? Check back tomorrow for the conclusion of The Bee Exchange.
One small step for bees. One giant leap for urban beekeeping. *Please note that stuffing my pants into my socks is not my normal state of dress. It keeps bees from crawling up your pants.*
Checking the first frame for the queen.

Judy has found the queen, now it's my turn.

Duct taping the frames into a group.

Wrapping the box in saran. I can do this well, many a practical jokes done this way.

Loaded into the trunk.

Judy and I. She's a great lady.

1 comment:

  1. Krisjan,

    I am LOVING your blog. Would love to come out and play with your bees sometime.

    Take care,

    Alexis (the farm reporter) from beekeeping

    ReplyDelete