September 23, 2011

Extraction

Hey Folks,

Due to some technical difficulties, and the release of a certain yearly Xbox hockey game, it's been quite some time since my last post. However, in that time I finally got all my honey extracted. Here's a bit of a quick run down of how the process works.

On a fine Labour Day weekend, we headed out to the bee yard to grab whatever frames of honey were ready for extraction. Early that week I had received and assembled my 2 frame extractor and was excited to test it out. Out at the bee yard, our friend Mandy donned the bee suit to act as my assistant in removing the bees the frames before we put them into a separate box.

Mandy, looking dapper in her bee suit.

We were soon joined by our other friends, along with my smallest bee keeping assistant yet, Piper. She was super excited to see the bees and to find out where honey comes from because she absolutely loves it. I know understand why Patty Milligan loves all the school programs she does. It's so exciting to see young kids who aren't afraid of bugs.

Piper in a homemade veil.

Once all the frames we collected to headed back to my garage to start the extraction process. The first step was to use the honey punch to pierce small holes in all the cappings. I had read a few reviews online about the honey punch and it's ease of use and must say that they were all true. As apposed to the other ways of removing the cappings, ie. heated knife or scrapper, this was super quick and for the most part mess free.

Once the cappings were thoroughly punched, I put the frames into the extractor and applied good 'ol elbow grease and this is when the problems started. After 1 good spin the gears started to skip and it wasn't possible to build up the centrifugal force needed. A few minutes of problem solving discovered a few issues, the only remedy being to order a new gearbox from the manufacture. Lucky, that 1 good spin did manage to extract about a liter of honey and after sitting in the sun for a bit we opened the honey gate and let it flow out.

Wonder how long until I want a motorized extractor.....

Arrrrr, we've struck gold Mateys!

After I received the new gearbox I extracted the rest of the frames and got around 8 liters of honey. All that from around 8 frames because there weren't as many fully capped frames as I had hoped this year. Either way, I am happy with the performance of my extractor and really look forward to putting the fully drawn comb back into the hive next year to have the bees fill it up next year.

That's a lot of honey.

Thanks to all my friends who came out for my first extractor party. It will be the first of many. Also, if you still haven't gotten your name in for honey do so quickly.

14 comments:

  1. What a fun day! We are still enjoying our lovely honey! Mostly by the spoonful, but I've been using it to sweeten muffins, etc. too. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that this article is really a very good one. And I really think that this is one of the most productive and one of the best articles that I've ever seen. I wish that I could get more articles like this. home care products

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this article as it pointed out a bunch of interesting points and made me think a little bit differently about the issue. Triethylsilane

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Garcinia Cambogia Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new important functions indoor manufacturing about more robust metals which regularly comprises tendencies in order to challenges many of us extended to discover end result large electrical power physics. cheap column radiators

    ReplyDelete
  6. A specific thing definitely seems to be very amazing. Plus publish will allow most of us a number of contemplating. grow to be pleased, My husband or wife and we all severely based very brilliant plus unconventional views. Which may perhaps be helpful to anybody. Relation created for supplying. αποκαλυπτικο ρεπορταζ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually appreciate this kind of excellent publish that you've got offered for all of us. Outstanding web page as well as a amazing material at the same time my spouse and i severely get stunned to find out this kind of. It's really very good. Cutting steroids UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually When i interested from this publish. one who developed this kind of publish is a expert and is aware of tips on how to keep your enthusiasts connected. appreciate it with regards to discussing this kind of around. sheep mineral

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that is the fresh new that your particular associate plus our husband or wife and we all just click more than plus When i transpired through to plenty of gratifying difficulties in your web site specially it is talk, appreciate it. Steroids in uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any person implemented a number of profitable difficulties now there. I did so thus any kind of seek out concerning these plus based virtually all men and women will unquestionably certainly rely on your blog. buy exercise gloves online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crucial You then have a excellent web site. We are considering further the exact same will be substantial. this associate plus our husband or wife and we all learn you can have truthfully important will be substantial, we're generally evaluating your blog best would like Portaloo Hire Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fairly great post. I simply came across ones webpage and wished to point out which i possess definitely liked exploring your site articles. After all I’ll possibly be subscribing to your nourish and I am hoping an individual create all over again quickly! cannabis business plan sample Canada

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic publish, We've got accomplished designated people web site thus basically I’ll learn much more with this material in the foreseeable future. cannabis dispensary business

    ReplyDelete
  14. From time to time after you eventually innovate, anybody create errors. It is really far better to get they're going to swiftly, to find within joined having maximizing your specific additional changes. hemp cbd business plan

    ReplyDelete