June 23, 2011

Tales from Calgary

Hey Everyone,

As I promised a few weeks ago there was a second tale of Top bar beekeeping I had to tell. Again, I got bogged down in other things and have finally gotten around to rounding up all the pictures of my adventure.

It started in February when I went down to Red Deer to meet up with Eliese Watson. Eliese is the founder of Apiaries and Bees for Communities, A.B.C., down in Calgary. For the past couple of years she has been working non-stop to promote pollinators of all kinds but her hardest work has been growing the urban beekeeping scene in Calgary like nobody's business. I had learnt that she was planning a Co-op purchase of nucs from a local source, Bill Stagg, out of B.C. and I was thrilled at the idea of getting my hands on some locally raised bees and queens so I eagerly signed up.

During this time my father was showing quite a lot of interest in beekeeping. He grew up in the prairies on the farm so it wasn't anything unfamiliar to him. When I posed the question as to if he wanted to keep the Nuc I ordered down in Calgary in their backyard he was on it like white on rice. Due to his connections with friends that have wood working shops my Dad was able to build his entire top bar in a weekend, goes to show what having the right tools will do for you, it took Beatrice and I 2 weeks to build ours. As the pick-up date grew nearer though, my mother was growing more anxious about all the perceived issues and problems of backyard beekeeping. In the end, she would have nothing of it and I started my search for an alternative location within Calgary so that my Dad could continue on and enjoy the beekeeping experience. The help came from none other than my own Mother-in-law, she is an avid gardener and had no qualms with the bees...as long as she didn't receive too many complaints and only if my Dad did all the work.

Dad's hive, right next to the house.

The weekend of the Nuc pickup was quite the spectacle. Eliese, who had obviously been working like a bee, had around 100 people show up to pick up their bees and learn about how to hive them. Men, women and children of all ages were there in veils and bee suits, Calgary is definitely headed in the right direction. The weather however had different plans for that week. After we put the bees in the backyard it proceeded to rain and be miserable for a week. Eventually the sun broke through and my Dad was able to put the bees into the hive. Since then he and my mother-in-law have been avid beekeepers, doing their inspections and observing the hive. From all the emails and pictures they send it's quite obvious that the hive is doing very well. I am still a bit envious that I cannot have a top bar in my backyard without risking another call from my loony neighbour, but I think maybe after all our landscaping is done I might sneak one in next year and let the chips fall where they may.

Great looking comb.

Can you see the queen?

No comments:

Post a Comment