July 8, 2010

Bee-utiful Paradise

Things have finally calmed down around here. All the media have gotten their piece of the pie and I'm yesterday's news. While there are some things that were put into news articles that I wish I could have rephrased, generally all the news stories were great. They, if just for a brief moment, have shined the spotlight on a growing trend that is quickly gaining popularity. I haven't been able to find the CTV bit on their website, it was a short 30 second blurb but the quote they included was excellent. The CBC story was longer and more detailed, it can be found HERE. (story starts at the 5 minute mark)

I've received a few calls since this all started. A farmer south of Stony Plain phoned to inquire if I still needed land for my bees. He seemed like a nice enough fellow and the only issue was distance, but I will keep his info handy in case some new beekeepers need space. I also received a call from Rose Rosenberger after my interview on Wild Rose. She is an ex-city counsellor and was phoning to offer encouraging words. She has a large garden in the city and plants for specifically for bees. She said that if she was still in office she would be behind me 100%. The most exciting call was yesterday when a nice lady named Jane called. She actually has land within the city limits that is properly zoned and would absolutely love to have some hives on her property. My wife and I went out to meet her and have a look at the property.

Her piece of land is about 3 acres, but because her neighbours don't actually live at their acreages it really turns into about 8-9 acres of open space. She is an avid gardener/horticulturist, plants for pollinators, and believes in organic practices without pesticides. The property, in short, is a bee paradise. The matured wind break consist of large willows that surround her entire property. Caragana, cotoneaster, lilac, and mountain ash are just some of the trees she has incorporated into this area that used to be an operational tree plantation. Her garden consists of borage, thyme, raspberries, and more. Just to the north of her property is the Anthony Henday corridor where the undeveloped median grows wild and largely consists of alfalfa and clover. Every Alberta honey flow source is somehow represented within 2 kilometers of her property.

I am very excited to put some hives on her property next spring and I'm sure the bees will thrive in the surroundings. The only thing that has held Jane back from installing her own hives in the past has been knowledge and so she is excited at the chance to learn about beekeeping and I am more than willing to teach what I know.

1 comment:

  1. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. You've got a design here that's not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what you're saying. Great job, indeed. Meilleur courtier Griffintown

    ReplyDelete