July 5, 2010

Extra Extra!


Today was the day that the article regarding urban beekeeping was printed. A friend texted me during my morning work to say that she read my article on the Journal's web page, so I picked up a copy on the way home. Funny thing was that I didn't actually look at the newspaper when I picked it up, I just threw it into the grocery bag. After I got home and was changing out of my work clothes my wife screamed out, "You're on the front page!" And that's when the phone started ringing. I received multiple calls from all sorts of news agencies, I even got to do a live interview on Wild Rose with CBC radio.

In all honesty I wasn't expecting this much attention. I was thinking the article would be run on page 5 of the city section and go by relatively unnoticed. However it didn't and now I'm the quasi face of urban beekeeping. I even received a call from an ex-city counsellor who phoned to tell me not to give this issue up as it's very important. I hope this brief media attention on me doesn't take away from all those beekeepers who are out in the city flying under the radar or the long time beekeepers who have been trying to get beekeeping legalized. I feel it's a good thing in the long run and bringing it to the public's attention is cause for discussion. I have to stop myself from reading all the comments posted on the Journal's web page because I know it's the Internet and I know there are people trolling, but some of the comments are just plain uneducated.

Here is the link for the journal article. I will also be on the CBC, CBC National, and CTV within the next few days. Stay glued to those TV sets and you just might see me preaching about the bees.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Backyard+beekeeper+stung/3235282/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment